Sunday, May 26, 2013

Banana Jus Alpukat


Banana Jus Alpukat
I started looking for milkshake alternatives about a year ago when I was on a no dairy diet because my little guy couldn't have it. I tried lots of different smoothie variations and came across some recipes for Jus Alpukat, an Indonesian dessert smoothie with avocados. It sounded intriguing, but most of the recipes called for sweetened condensed milk, ice cream, or simple syrup. I subbed in bananas, which thickened and sweetened the drink without adding dairy or extra sugar.

I made one of these for my brother when the recipe was still in the developmental phase. When he asked for tortilla chips, I knew the banana/avocado ratio was off. Maybe he'll give it another try now??? Although my kids are smoothie and milkshake fans, there are only two of us who give this a something good rating; the others prefer their smoothies with just fruit.

Banana Jus Alpukat
2 bananas, frozen and sliced
1/2 avocado, removed from peel
4 ice cubes
1/2 cup milk (regular, soy or almond)
chocolate syrup
  • In a blender, combine bananas, avocado, ice cubes, and milk. Blend until smooth.
  • Drizzle chocolate syrup down the insides of your serving glasses.
  • Spoon smoothie into glasses.
  • Top with additional chocolate syrup if desired.

Notes: Bananas seem to have a small window of perfect ripeness. If your bananas get beyond the peak of ripeness, don't throw them away; peel, bag, and freeze them. Frozen bananas are great for smoothies and can be thawed for baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment