Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower

Cauliflower roasted past the point of tasting like a vegetable

















Warning: There is a possibility that if you employ this method of cooking vegetables your family will never let you go back to boiling or steaming. It happened to me. I sometimes fry the veggies on the stovetop, but flavor bits (those tasty dark spots) are a requirement when it comes to cooked veggies at our house.

I usually roast them on a jellyroll pan. I have two pans that look awful from being used for roasting vegetables and two pans that still look nice that I use for cookies and things. I use kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I also like fresh vegetables (not frozen) for roasting. Every oven is different and everyone likes veggies at a different stage of crispness, so you might have to play around with it a little.

Roasted Cauliflower
  • Preheat oven to 400*.
  • Wash the head of cauliflower and cut into small pieces (I peel and cut up chunks of the stem too).
  • Place on the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • Mix them around so everything is coated in the oil and the seasoning is distributed.
  • Cover with foil. Roast for 10 minutes covered.
  • Remove the foil and roast for another 20 minutes or until brown and crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Stir at least once during cooking.
Note: These could be seasoned with Parmesan cheese, garlic or lemon, but they are great plain too.


Question
What is your favorite vegetable? Cooked or uncooked?

1 comment:

  1. The photo was tempting enough that I actually purchased cauliflower for the first time in my life. Then it sat in my fridge until I realized I better actually use it or have to throw it out in a few days. WOW! Totally delicious! Although it smelled like a terrible vegetable in the first part of cooking, by the time it was done, I could hardly wait til it cooled. I might only make this when I'm home alone so I won't have to share :)

    ReplyDelete