Friday, January 18, 2013

Chicken Stock

Here’s a pantry staple. I do sometimes buy chicken stock, but I like the flavor of homemade and like to make use of leftover chicken bones. I got started making my own stock with a recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook for Chicken and Broth that uses a cut up raw chicken. Occasionally I use still use the raw bones method, but generally I like to use the leftovers from a roasted chicken.

Chicken Stock
1 3-4 lb. rotisserie or roasted chicken
12 baby carrots
2 stalks celery cut into large chunks
1 onion quartered
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
  • Take the meat off the chicken—save it for soup, enchiladas, chicken potpie, etc.
  • Put the bones, skin, and juice/pan drippings from the chicken into a medium sized pot.
  • Add the carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add about 5 cups of water, enough to cover the bones and veggies.
  • Bring to a boil with the pot uncovered at medium heat.
  • Cover the pot and reduced heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2 hours.
  • Strain off broth. Discard the rest. (I do usually save the carrots because the little guy likes them.)
  • Pour broth into a gravy separator or refrigerate to make it easier to skim the fat.
  • Yields about 5 cups broth and 4 cups chicken.
Notes: You can easily double this recipe; just use a bigger pot. This flavorful stock can be frozen in smaller amounts so that you can take out however much you need at a time.

Question
What is your favorite use for chicken broth?

No comments:

Post a Comment