Saturday, January 12, 2013

Oven Rice

















A number of years ago, I tried a recipe for Rice Pilaf in Emeril Lagasse’s book Potluck. This oven-baked rice is so good that we rarely make rice on the stovetop anymore. When my oldest son was about a year old he loved this rice so much that after supper he would even try to eat up the grains of rice that had fallen on the floor during the meal. It is still a favorite.

Personally, I liked Emeril’s recipe as is, but for the whole family to give this dish a rating of something good I’ve had to make a few changes. I’ve switched out the butter for oil because of our recent dairy issue. I’ve also taken out the onions because all the kids prefer the dish onion free. Taking onions out of anything seems like a tragedy to me, but this is for the good of the whole. 

Oven Baked Rice
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 ¾ cups chicken stock or a 15 oz can of chicken broth
salt to taste

  • Preheat oven to 350*
  • Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.
  • Add rice and cook until the color of the rice changes to opaque, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil.
  • Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
  • Stir or fluff with a fork and serve.

Notes: Remember that the pan handle and cover will be extremely hot coming out of the oven (yes, I’ve burned my fingers). For an easy Spanish rice, use a 15oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (or 2 cups salsa) plus one cup of water instead of the chicken broth. I like using the chicken broth with brown rice, but in my opinion brown rice works better on the stove top.

Question
Do you have a recipe that is so good you’d eat it off the floor?

2 comments:

  1. Tried it - The best rice ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this from someone at the potluck the other day! It's already famous :)

    ReplyDelete